Be sure to follow her blog, as she always writes such good stuff. Oh, and she runs another funny blog called Stuff My Computer Says. Definitely worth checking out both.
As a companion piece to the post below, read Maureen Dowd's OpEd piece from the New York Times. I think Obama should read it, too.
11/2 Update: Check out this cool site too: What the Fuck has Obama Done So Far?
With the midterm election just a couple days away, I thought it would be a good idea to list some of President Obama’s accomplishments. A lot of people are focused on the failures of the Democrats and the President. But to those people, I recommend scanning the items, below.
- Passed Universal Healthcare
- Brought diversity to the US Supreme Court by appointing two, female Supreme Court Justices, one of whom is the Nation’s first Hispanic Justice
- Created a Bureau of Consumer Financial Protection to help protect citizens from unscrupulous financial practices
- Provided travel expenses to the families of fallen soldiers so they can be on hand at Dover Air Force Base when their family member’s remains return to the USA
- Ended the media blackout on war casualties and the return of fallen soldiers to Dover Air Force Base
- Appointed the most diverse Cabinet in history, including more women appointees than any other incoming President
- Visited more countries and met with more world leaders in his first year in office than any president
- Empowered the 14 States that allow some use of medical marijuana to regulate themselves
- Increased funding for national parks and forests in 2010, and plans to do it again for FY 2011
- Cracked down on companies that deny sick pay, vacation benefits, and health insurance to workers by abusing the employee classification of independent contractor
- Increased infrastructure spending (roads, bridges, power plants) after decades of neglect
- Signed the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act
- Launched Recovery.gov to track spending from the Recovery Act, an unprecedented step to provide transparency and accountability through technology
- Signed the Credit Card Accountability, Responsibility, and Disclosure (CARD) Act to protect Americans from unfair and deceptive credit card practices
- Signed an Executive Order establishing a White House Council on Women and Girls to provide a coordinated Federal response to the challenges confronted by women and girls and to ensure that all Cabinet and Cabinet-level agencies consider how their policies and programs impact women and families
- Passed legislation to curb greenhouse gases and improve the environment
- Implemented new regulations on power plants, factories, and oil refineries to limit greenhouse gas emissions and curb global warming, required energy producing plants to produce 15% of their energy from renewable sources
- Is in the process of repairing our image Abroad. After 8 years of damage to the USA’s image, Obama has helped repair badly damaged relationships with foreign powers across the world
- Saved the collapse of the American automotive industry. By making GM restructure before bailing them out, and putting incentive money to help the industry, he saved the industry
- Reversed George W. Bush’s ban on federal funding to foreign organizations that allow abortions
- Signed the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act, restoring basic protections against pay discrimination for women and other workers
- Lifted President Bush’s restrictions on embryonic stem cell research; Obama provided federal support for stem-cell and new biomedical research, helping make it easier for scientists to find cures for our most dangerous diseases
- Had the balls to be the first sitting President to appear on the Jon Stewart Daily Show (Watch the full episode...)
This entire blog post courtesy of Sorry, That User Name is Taken.com.